New Recipe Added - Thai Prawn Cakes
Uma Wylde's Aromatic Prawn Cakes (Thod Man Kung)
Ingredients for Thai prawn cakes (for four people):
- 500g shelled raw prawns
- 6 cloves Thai garlic
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 red bird eye chillies
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tbsp uncooked rice
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ litre sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp cornflour
Preparation & Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Tip 2 tbsp rice into a frying pan and cook over a medium heat until golden then take off the heat and grind to a powder in a pestal and mortar.
- Deseed the chillies and tip into a food processor with the garlic, spring onion and kaffir lime leaves and blitz until fine. Now add the raw prawns, the ground rice and 2 tsp salt and blitz until smooth.
- Turn the prawn mixture onto a board sprinkled with cornflour and roll into a long sausage. Cut the roll into 1cm slices then shape into patties and dust with a little cornflour.
- Pour enough oil into a frying pan or wok so it’s deep enough to cover the prawn cakes and place over a high heat. Once the oil is sizzling hot then add the prawn cakes and fry for 1 minute or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on to absorbent kitchen paper.
- Serve with dipping sauce such as a cucumber, chilli or peanut.